International Visitors

ID/Driver’s License for International Visitors

In Arizona, possessing a valid driver’s license is a legal requirement for residents to drive. We provide solutions for International Visitors looking to acquire a driver’s license properly. This can require unique information depending on where you are from and what other countries you hold a driver’s license in. Visit any one of our 8 locations to find out what is needed for you to get a drivers license in Arizona!

Below you will find further information and the most frequently asked questions.

Arizona Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division Authorized Provider Logo

Will Arizona accept my out-of-country Driver License?

Arizona has reciprocity agreements with only four countries: Canada, Germany, South Korea, and Taiwan. If first-time applicants hold a valid driver’s license from any of these countries, they are exempt from taking a written or road test except for Canada. Canadian citizens are still required to pass the written exam, even though they are exempt from taking the road test.

When do I need an Arizona Drivers License?

If any of the following conditions apply, it is mandatory to obtain an Arizona driver’s license and vehicle registration immediately as per state laws.

  • If you work in Arizona other than for seasonal agricultural work
  • If you are a registered voter in Arizona
  • If you place your children in school without paying the tuition rate of a nonresident
  • If you have a business with an office in Arizona that is based and operates vehicles in this state.
  • If you obtain a state license or pay school tuition fees at the same rate as an Arizona resident.
  • If you have a business that operates vehicles to transport goods or passengers within Arizona.
  • If you remain in Arizona for a total of seven months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence.

Regardless of employment status, students who are enrolled with seven or more semester hours but are from outside of Arizona are not classified as residents. Similarly, active military personnel stationed in Arizona who meet the requirements for exemption under the Service Members Civil Relief Act of 2003 are also not regarded as Arizona residents.

What are the necessary documents for obtaining an Arizona driver’s license if I am an international visitor?

Arizona provides two types of licenses: a standard driver’s license and an Arizona Travel ID, each with distinct identification requirements. Non-US citizens or persons who are visiting the country for recreational purposes have a particular set of identification prerequisites, whereas US citizens or permanent residents with an employment authorization document from the US Department of Homeland Security must fulfill different documentation requirements. Keep in mind that every individual’s situation is different and that documentation may vary. Visit any of our 8 locations for assistance in learning how we can help you get your driver license, today!

Is it okay to use an international/out-of-country driver’s license instead of an Arizona license?

Individuals who are not obligated by state laws to procure an Arizona driver’s license can legally drive in Arizona with a valid driver’s license from their home country. Although it is not mandatory, an international driver’s license or permit is recommended. It can be printed in English and used alongside the driver’s license issued by the home country. If an international driver’s license or permit is used as the sole document, it must be issued by a non-US country. Vehicle rental agencies may have supplementary requirements.

Travel ID FAQ’s

Most of the information you need to know for aquiring a Travel ID or any other ID is on this page. If you need more information visit the link below or contact us.

9 Motor Vehicle Service Locations

We have locations in Phoenix, Chandler, Gilbert, Glendale, Avondale, Anthem,
Scottsdale and a new location in Queen Creek!

Our Travel ID Process is Fast, Easy, and Simple!